The obstacles to getting great family portraits
It doesn’t have to be difficult, it could be as easy as organising outdoor family photos..
Here are the typical challenges.
- Number 1: getting everyone in your family into the right mindset – easier said than done.
- For example, dragging the family kicking and screaming to a family portrait session can be like you were taking them to a tooth extraction – Not Fun!
- And if you’re off to an indoor studio then that can be awkward as well – those places are all grown-up-and-serious..
- Our hard working dedicated Dads often find it hard to leave their work thoughts behind and be in the present moment – to loosen them up they have to be worked on.
- And our beloved teenagers.. distracted by their social media world, school politics, feeling awkward etc etc – we’ll.. they’d rather just not be there.
- Even our pets are not their boisterous selves when they’re indoors.
The problem is that we are not our happy, carefree, relaxed, fun, joyful selves when we are indoors – it must be a deep genetic thing from our ancestors or something!
Here’s the solution, and as a family photographer it works for me every time.
Outdoor Family Photos – the fun factor
Picture this, a gorgeous big old tree overlooking a river with gardens all around. Kids playing and climbing the trees and have adventures.
Vs a pent up indoor situation where they are restricted and told off every few minutes for not falling into line.
- The outdoors are magic, everyone can relax and be themselves and have some fun. Parents don’t feel uptight and worried about the kids and everyone is free to be genuine and act their true nature.
- Everyone feels relaxed and casual when they are dressed relaxed and casual.
- Bring along a favourite toy or the family dog and no-one will be thinking about performing. Its that simple.
- The weather does affect sittings occasionally, but the upside is so great that its worth it.
Overcast skies outdoors are magic as they produce soft diffused light where no-one is squinting.
Magic settings = magic moments captured forever
This is the reason I retired my indoor studio years ago. I found my families were always happier and it showed in the family portraits.
In fact what I discovered was that there’s a strategic bonus for families with outdoor photos; it becomes a memorable event, a memory of fondness, revisited every time you catch a glance of your family portraits.
I always encourage families to make the photo shoot an excuse for a family outing, an afternoon in the park, chasing the dog and kicking a ball… and then I just happen to show up with a camera ;)
Checkout my images here: family photography Brisbane
And please leave a comment about your favorite outdoor family photos, or hit the share buttons!
Talk soon, Margherita :)